10.12.2012

first grade tree portraits


The first grade artists have been sketching and observing many different kinds of tree branches and looking closely to see how those branches diverge. We have been enjoying our outside art time!




Students were then asked to create a self portrait with a twist. Imagine yourself as a tree! I was very much inspired by the lovely work over at Chesterbrook Academy Elementary.


There is something special about imagining yourself as someone or something else. It helps to build empathy and understanding. Feet become roots, arms become branches, and hair becomes a home to little nesting birds!











11 comments:

ArtMuse said...

These are adorable. I like the surreal quality to them!

Mary said...

WOW! These are wonderful! Each one says so much about the artist.And I love how each is work is entirely unique. Fantastic post! I'd love to try this sometime.

Chesterbrook Academy Elementary said...

The magic of trees.
What a beautiful project.
Your students did an amazing job with drawing from observation.
The self-portraits are beautiful.

Chesterbrook Academy Elementary said...

I tried sending you comments twice.
Sometimes blogger plays games.

Beautiful results these self-portrait trees. Very creative.

For some reason I am thinking that Paul Klee would have loved this project.

Shannah said...

Thanks all:)

Sorry, I did see your two posts but am just now getting around to publishing:) Thank you again for the inspiration! My students had lots of fun with these.

Amie Plumley said...

So wonderful! We follow a tree on our campus all year - Joe. I am thinking this would be a fun project to do at the end of the year. Thanks for the inspiration!

Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful, creative project - I love your self-portrait trees! Every one is a beautiful expression of self! Just lovely, I will save this with your permission :)

Shannah said...

Thank you both.
Amie, I love that you named your tree Joe:)
And Elizabeth, you are welcome to save or use anything here!

iheART said...

These are magical. I use quite a bit of your lessons as they are so wonderful and personalised.

Did your kids use tissue paper for the leaves? Also, to get that lovely texture in the sky did they use paper towel to blotch their paint?

Shannah said...

Hello and thank you!
We used scrapbooking paper with different printed textures and you guessed right on the texture sky:)

Lori said...

beautiful work!